17 Aug. Anna Maria Horner Workshop, Quilts In Bloom
Anna Maria Horner, Quilts in Bloom
Location: Lady Sew and Sew, Henley
Market Price: £145.00
Anna Maria Horner is a leading fabric and quilt designer based in the USA. We are very excited that she will be with us, teaching this workshop. Her fabric and quilt designs are simply stunning, and her ability to impart knowledge through her workshops means that being there is an honor!
Anna Maria Horner, Quilts In Bloom
Friday, 17 August
10am – 4pm
Skill level: All levels
Anna Maria will guide you through building modern bouquets using paper template shapes provided. Under guidance and with lots of inspiration you will be working using a design wall, composing a block, a mini quilt or the beginnings of a larger project. You will be sewing your pieces together as you go.
Anna Maria will share several technique demos for machine applique, needle-turn applique and patchwork considerations for backgrounds and borders, so that by the end of the day you will be fully equipped to complete your project.
This is a wonderful way to break free of traditional block by block patchwork, whilst still providing enough of a format to feel comfortable.
- – Fabric selection
- – Improvisational Patchwork
- – Needle turn applique by hand & raw applique by machine
- – Curved bias strip preparation, applique
- – Template demos for cutting and pressing applique shapes
- – Compositional planning and layout
- – At least 1.5m of Design Wall Flannel. We recommend Kaffe Fassett Design Wall Flannel which is grey in colour, with a grid. The grey colour is neutral so that the colours of your work are not competing with the background. The grid helps to be accurate and straight! Simply place your pieces onto the flannel and it’ll stick as you finish your design and move them as required, allowing you complete freedom in composition.
- – At least a dozen or more floral prints (or a large cut of a single stunner floral) to create a variety of flower heads, in various styles. Prints that are fun for fussy cutting are particularly welcome
- – A mix of 6-8 fat quarters that are tonal or evocative in nature to emulate leaves, stems. Plaids and stripes are really lovely cut on bias here to be used as stems
- – Various larger cuts from a fat quarter to 1 yard of tonal fabrics, either pale or dark, solid or yarn dyed that allow the above fabrics to shine
- – Bond-a-web, or steam-a-seam lite
- – Bring your rotary cutting equipment
- – Bring your sewing machine
- – Bring your basic sewing kit (scissors, pins, needles, microstitch if you have one)
- – Paper scissors
- – Paper and pen for making notes
- – Thread
- – Bring your workshop iron and ironing mat if you have one, but again we have plenty of irons and ironing boards set up here (sometimes, people just like their own….)
Coffee and tea will be available from 9.30am onwards until the class commences. You will have an opportunity to look around our Warehouse and purchase fabric and supplies prior to the class, during and even afterwards. Please note workshops do not include lunch. Bring a packed lunch with you or Tesco’s is very near.
Workshops must be paid for in full at time of booking. If you are unable to attend a workshop that you have booked, a refund will only be offered if 21 days’ notice is given prior to the event. Refund given will be the full amount less £5.00 administrative cost for each workshop cancelled.
We retain to the right to cancel a class if necessary. We will give you as much notice as possible should we need to cancel a class, and your full fee paid will be refunded. We are not able to recompense for any additional costs that you may have incurred to attend the class, should it be cancelled.
Lady Sew and Sew Farm Road Henley on Thames Oxfordshire RG9 1EJ UK Tel: 01491 572 528